I wrote a long blog post about married life and the ups and downs of the last six months, but I decided to share something else instead…
I’ve been reflecting on the last six months, thinking about the ups and downs of our marriage. So many people tell you that the first year of marriage is tough, and while this is true, it’s also so exciting!
We’ve had so much fun together. This is the first time we’ve ever lived together, and we’ve learnt so much about each other during this time. It’s a new phase of our relationship, where we’re learning how to share a home, manage our finances, save money, build a career, and balance our work life and personal life together.
Sure, there have been some tough moments. But don’t let anyone put fear in your heart when they tell you that the first year of marriage is difficult. Hold on to your love for each other. Speak life and love over your relationship. Cherish the moments of laughter and good times. Remember why you decided to get married. And celebrate the fact that you get to do life with one very special person for the rest of your life. It’s a blessing!
At my kitchen tea, my friends and family shared some words of wisdom with me, and now I’m sharing their advice with you. If you’re married, or you and your partner are thinking about getting married, keep this in mind as an encouragement:
- Never go to bed angry. ALWAYS talk it out
- Remember that you got married because you love each other and that’s the important part
- Always hear and listen to each other
- Never leave a fight unresolved
- Always remind each other how much you love each other
- Compromise is key – find the happy medium
- Communicate openly – don’t let small issues build up
- Savour and focus on the good things
- Always be true to you
“A husband and wife may disagree on many things but they must absolutely agree on this: to never, ever give up.” – Unknown