Easter is one of my favourite holidays! It’s a special time spent with family and friends, and it gives me an excuse to indulge in delicious chocolate bunnies and marshmallow eggs! This year, I decided that I’d make an Easter Carrot Cake to serve after Sunday lunch, and I decided to test the recipe I found this weekend. The verdict: the cake was delicious, and so I thought I’d share the recipe with you. I adapted the recipe from one I found in the Pick n Pay Fresh Living magazine.
I hope you enjoy making it as much as I did!
1 packet (100g) pecan nuts
2 cups (500ml) cake flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
1 + 1/2 tsp (8ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (3ml) salt
1 + 1/2 Tbsp (22ml) ground cinnamon
4 jumbo eggs
1 + 1/2 cups (375ml) white sugar
1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
1 + 2/5 cups (350ml) grated raw carrot
Cream cheese icing:
1 tub (220g) cream cheese
1/4 cup (60ml) unsalted butter
1 + 1/2 cups (375ml) icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
1 tsp (5ml) finely grated lemon peel
1 packet speckled eggs to decorate
Serves 8 – 10
1. Place rack in centre of oven.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Grease two 23cm x 5cm cake tins with cooking spray and line bottom of tins with baking paper.
4. Toast pecan nuts in a non-stick pan for 2 – 3 minutes. Leave to cool and chop into small pieces.
5. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon in a large bowl.
6. Whisk eggs until frothy.
7. Gradually add sugar and beat until a thick batter has formed. Add oil and vanilla extract.
8. Add flour mixture and beat until all ingredients are well mixed.
9. Add carrots and nuts and divide batter between the two baking tins.
10. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
11. Wait for cakes to cool completely.
12. Beat cream cheese and butter on a low-speed until well blended.
13. Add sifted sugar, vanilla and lemon peel.
14. Spread half the icing on one cake. Carefully place the second cake on top of the iced cake and spread the remaining icing on the top.
15. Add speckled eggs on the top of your cake. Decorate as you please!